NORTH FLORIDA MARINE SCIENCE SYMPOSIUM
The NFMSS brings together faculty, students, and staff from the University of Florida, University of North Florida, Florida Institute of Technology, federal and state agencies, NGOs, and folks from the local community for two days to promote marine resource conservation and sustainability by sharing research results, networking, educating students, and fostering future collaborations. Topics discussed included marine ecology and biology, aquaculture, fisheries conservation and management, and systematics.
The 2018 meeting was a smashing success with about 100 attendees! We were hosted by UF’s Whitney Laboratory for Marine Science. Attendees enjoyed excellent presentations and networking opportunities, as well as a tour of the sea turtle hospital.
The NFMSS is on a 2-year cycle so please make sure you are there for the next meeting in 2020!
- Dr. Don Behringer (Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences)
- Dr. Rob Ahrens (Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences)
PAST STUDENT PRESENTATION AWARD WINNERS
- Elizabeth Scherbatskoy – Best Graduate Student Oral Presentation (tied)
- Alexandra Duscher – Best Graduate Student Oral Presentation (tied)
- Elizabeth Duermit – Best Graduate Student Poster (tied)
- Derrick Vaughn – Best Graduate Student Poster (tied)
- Alex Cetta – Best Undergraduate Poster (tied)
- Alisha Phillips/Rachel Ionata – Best Undergraduate Poster (tied)
- 2009 Dr. Peter Mumby – University of Queensland
- 2010 Dr. James Estes – US Geological Survey, Western Ecological Research Center
- 2011 Dr. Robert Cowen – University of Miami
- 2012 Dr. Michael Heithaus – Florida International University
- 2013 Dr. Steven Gaines – University of California Santa Barbara
- 2014 Dr. Mark Hay – Georgia Tech
- 2016 Dr. Michael Beck – The Nature Conservancy, Lead Scientist, Global Marine Team
- 2018 Dr. Joan M. Bernhard – Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, Senior Scientist
Many thanks to our generous sponsors, without whose support this symposium would not be possible!!